Friday 28 November 2008

My 10th week at college

Hello!

Well essay crises and all that has delayed this post...I know excuses excuses....

Father's Heart
We had only one day in college this week and we spent it on the Father's heart. So we looked at the story of the prodigal son but then went onto a practical...

So they had three people come up (including myself) where they re-enacted the story with us as the prodigal sons. The Father welcoming us sons home: putting on a robe (to cover our shame), putting on shoes (as only servants were bare foot) and a ring on our finger (to show that we are a son and an heir). It was a moving moment - helping us to really grab hold of the lavishness of God's love for us despite our failings, sins and messes.

Derby Prayer day
Well Tuesday was a day of fasting (where we don't eat for 24 hours), followed by a day of prayer on Wednesday up in Derby (it's grim up north - though apparently it's only the Midlands - which shows how much of a southerner I am :)) ).

Have to confess I thought it would be a real drag but when they broke it up with periods of testimony about what's happening in the churches it really fired us up. One of the most exciting moments for me was hearing about the street healing - literally they go on the streets and offer to pray with people who need healing - and they've seen all sorts from piles (the size of pairs apparently) to cancer getting healed. Fab.

In our own group David's retina was becoming detached again (he's had an operation on it previously) and some of us prayed and it not only got better but he says it's the best it's been for ages (ie his vision is so much wider than before). Excellent. ;D

One of the fun times was the evening where we had a quick sleeping bag fight. However in my attempt to make Ben fall over he dodged out the way - it's all because he didn't have a "mummy" shaped sleeping bag (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! |-| ) and I seemed to have ended up on the floor...
sleeping bag!

Oh yes and made a hole with my elbow in the wall...just above my prone form and to the left of the door. Yeah it was interesting explaining that one to the owners...still waiting for the bill...

I'm trying to get the video clip for this (does this sound a familiar story?) - though I have at least pasted it to my facebook profile if you want - it's well worth a visit - just to see Ben's face of shock when he sees the hole!

Also got a day's input from Mark Ritchie on using our stories to spread the good news. Although he hasn't been able to use the story about his mate who had been invited over for dinner and then couldn't flush his number 2 down the loo and so resorted to a grabbing a big clump of tissue pulling it out and throwing it out the window. All might have gone well had they not invited him into the conservatory for a cup of tea to see something (you know what!) zig zagging it's way down the roof...

Reflections
At the prayer day someone opened my eyes to the disciple John who started off so judgemental (wanting to call down fire on people) and proud (wanting the most important place in Jesus' kingdom). But then later came to define himself as "the disciple whom Jesus loved" and finally in his letters preached how love was the most important thing. What a journey! But as he described this to me I saw myself - the one who is often so judgemental and wanting to be the centre of attention but yet am discovering this year how much I am loved. I so want to finish this journey and become the one who sees love as the most important thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment