Sunday 30 November 2008

My 11th week at college

Hello - well you wait for ages for a post and then two come along at once. If you missed the previous post (with the photo of the sleeping bag incident) then please do check out week 10!

Pneumatology
This week was spent on pneumatology (study of the Holy Spirit). For those who don't know much about this He's the third one of the Trinity who lives inside Christians when they are born again, who's job is to transform their character to become more like Jesus and to give them power to speak in tongues, heal, prophesy and so on.

So we had three days on the theory and then a scary two days on the practice.

Warning!
I appreciate that this next part of the blog might freak you out if you think Christianity is just a belief in God and trying to do good deeds. Please feel free to comment or email me if you want to chat through some of these issues further. I remember the first time I encountered this I was freaked out - because it meant that either God was real or some very freaky things were going on...

Holy Spirit practical
So it was like - "OK who doesn't speak in tongues and would like to?" and then praying for them. If you're new to this tongues is where you speak another language - one of your spirit talking direct to God - it's like an intimate prayer language of the heart. Is it just made up stuff? I've sometimes wondered - am I just making this up or is it really a God thing? But I've seen and heard too many times where someone speaks in a tongue and someone else recognises the language even though the person speaking in tongues has never learnt it.

Then it was OK let's pray for words of knowledge. This is where God gives you information about someone else that you would never know yourself. God does this not to embarrass or freak people out but so that He can heal people physically and emotionally. Various examples of this have been Jen suddenly hearing in her head that our daughter Hannah was out on the road (and she was), I somehow knew that my friend was just about to leave home without his passport (and he was), Pastor Mark Driscoll knew that a particular girl had been raped (and she had) and he was able to pray for her and see healing, etc.

So what happened with us? Well all sorts (in fact so many I can't remember them all). But someone felt there was someone with lower back pain, there was, and they were prayed for and it was immediately better (I have to confess being sceptical about the whole leg lengthening business but I can't deny that this girl's back was better immediately after...); we also had someone feel that someone had shoulder pain and there was and they were prayed for and were immediately better, about someone looking for their father as a small child and not being able to find them and seeing that person freed from the trauma that had caused, words also about isolation and seeing God meet their need (and deliver one from some nasty satanic bondage - I confess I found the screaming, spasming and puking when they were being prayed for rather freaky - was this put on? I know her very well and can tell you that's not who she is as she's one of the most genuine people there. But I can tell you that she had been involved in a lot of unwholesome stuff before she became a Christian and that she is just so much freer than she was before the prayer).

For me I had two things - one about disappointment which spoke into a time (which I had forgotten all about) where I felt I was let down and deserted by God - I feel so much better now after prayer. Also one about how I had felt a calling on my life for a couple of years now, hadn't known what it was and had tried various things but they hadn't seemed right and that it would come into focus by the end of this year. That was freaky as I had been feeling for the last three years that there was something else I was supposed to be doing for God but hadn't known, I tried writing books with various people but it hadn't come to much and also chasing becoming an IFA but it hadn't come to much either - so this was like the story of my life - could they have guessed it (as they didn't know me at all)? Well as a mathematician I know a fair bit about probabilities and it's got to a point in my life where I've seen so many things that I either say this is an unbelievable amazing number of coincidences or take a very short step of faith to say this is just so unlikely to be chance that there must be something else. So let's see what the rest of this year brings then...

No comments:

Post a Comment